Our plastic surgeons are certified through the American Board of Plastic Surgery and are trained to perform surgery. It may sound obvious, but many people don’t realize that only some of the 24 medical specialties recognized by The American Board of Medical Specialties include surgical training. Plastic surgery is a surgical specialty.
Plastic surgeons are experts in both facial and body procedures. Board-certified plastic surgeons complete a minimum of five years of surgical training following medical school, including a plastic surgery residency program. In-depth training encompasses surgical procedures of the face and the entire body.
Plastic surgeons are trained to prevent and, if necessary, handle emergencies. A comprehensive education, including a sound foundation in anatomy and physiology, provides plastic surgeons with an in-depth knowledge and understanding of all body systems, including ventilation, circulation, fluid and electrolyte balance, all of which are vitally important to patient safety.
Experience gained during years of training in complex reconstructive surgery provides plastic surgeons with outstanding technical skills. Additionally, the continuous attention to form as well as function provides these specialists with a finely tuned sense of aesthetics – a unique qualification that is critical to the success of cosmetic surgery where judgments of balance and proportion are called upon.
Our physicians are dedicated to furthering the development of plastic surgery and have been awarded memberships into several of the profession’s most well-respected and prestigious medical organizations, such as:
- American Association of Hand Surgeons
- Advisory Board Members to LEAD (Leadership, Experience, and Development in Breast Augmentation) by the Mentor Corporation
- American College of Surgeons
- American College of Plastic Surgeons
- American Federation of Clinic Research
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Johns Hopkins Medical Society
- Lipoplasty Society of North America
- Mississippi State Medical Associations
- Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- Southern Medical Association